Get Outdoors, Lebanon County!
The following updates/corrections regarding park directions, GPS coordinates, and status of posts have been posted in the Get Outdoors (GO) Lebanon Facebook Group. To receive the most recent updates/corrections as well as tips, please join the Facebook Group.
Remember to perform thorough tick checks following your outdoor hikes; in the event that you do pull off a tick, you may wish to send it to the Tick Research Lab of Pennsylvania for testing for tick borne illnesses, such as Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Order your test online and learn whether you’re at risk before symptoms appear. Testing is free for Pennsylvania residents.
6/11/2021 | SWATARA STATE PARK Correct GPS coordinates 40.4897824,-76.5493949; driving directions are correct in the booklet and website with the exception that State Park Lane is now paved.
6/8/2021 | GOVERNOR DICK PARK Correct GPS coordinates: 40.2589723, -76.4517562. You need to access trail #10 and that parking lot is off PA-State Route 117 near Butler Road and Boulevard Avenue.
Are you looking for something exciting for your family to do together this summer in the great outdoors? Looking to discover the great parks of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, but don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered! And best of all it’s free and fun for all ages!
In 2017 participants collectively walked over 4,000 miles! (We walked 3,000+ miles in 2016!) Can we top that this year? Join children and families from all over Lebanon County this summer in the Get Outdoors (GO), Lebanon County program. Get outdoors and discover the wonder of nature as you hunt for 15 activity posts hidden in parks and along trails in Lebanon County. Children follow clues available in their free guidebooks to locate each post. They then make a rubbing of the unique etching plate found at each post as a record of their “find.” The more activity posts you find, the better your chances are to win an exciting grand prize. Each year this program’s theme changes to reflect that of the Summer Learning Programs at Lebanon County Libraries!
Booklets and etching sheets for Get Outdoors, Lebanon County will be available for pick up at the library or for download from this webpage starting Monday, June 7, 2021.
Participants will be required to enter their info and 4-digit codes into Beanstack (more info coming soon!) by Saturday, August 14, 2021. Please stay tuned for more details regarding changes to this year’s program. For updates regarding this year’s program as well as hints, tips, and photos for the program, join the Get Outdoors (GO) Lebanon Facebook group.
- Pick up your etching sheet and guidebook at your local library this summer.
- Each family receives (1) guidebook per family and (1) etching sheet per child 17 years or younger.
- Use your guidebook to identify the 15 participating parks within Lebanon County.
- Use the clues to find each post located in the participating parks. Make sure you take a crayon or pencil with you on your adventure so you can shade over the picture onto your etching sheet. Do not use marker or pen.
- The last day to obtain etchings in the parks is Sunday, August 30, 2020; posts will be removed the next day.
- Record your etching sheet in Beanstack by Saturday, September 5, 2020, to qualify for prizes.
3 or more etching rubs = small prize.
4-9 etchings = small prize + 1 entry to win a grand prize
10-14 etchings = small prize + 2 chances to win a grand prize
Collect all 15 = small prize + 3 chances to win a grand prize
Collect 4 or more etchings to win a chance at 1 of 5 grand prizes!
Children attending the family hikes hosted by select local libraries will receive a chance to win a grand prize at the end of the hike.
2020 Grand Prize Packages:
- Nighttime Explorer Prize Pack (a night sky-themed set including a telescope, astronomy books, and a book light)
- Nighttime Outdoor Fun Prize Pack (a set of glow-in-the-dark lawn games to play with friends and family)
- Daytime Explorer Prize Pack (a set of STEM equipment for kids and books about backyard flora and fauna)
- Daytime Outdoor Fun Prize Pack (a collection of classic lawn games, including corn hole and bubbles)
- Family Picnic Prize Pack (a set that includes everything necessary to enjoy a meal in the great outdoors, including a picnic basket and gift cards for Subway)